There will be no photos in this post. I am even embarrassed to tell you what happened, but this is my history, right?
Each Sunday that my 88 year old mother has been here for the winter, we have used her transfer (wheelchair) to take her to church. Pushing her to the church was not a problem.
After church, pushing her down the steep parking lot ramp to the street to cross to our gated community was always tricky. Mostly because I am a hundred pound weakling!
Each time I approached the down slope, I worried that I might slip with my shoes. Until today I didn't.
Today I wore flats. They are a little too slippery on the bottom of the shoe, I guess.
I started down the slope, holding back on the chair but at the steepest point of the driveway, my right shoe slipped and I went down on my buttocks so fast my skirt flew up. The chair with my mom hanging on for dear life, tipped back onto me.
I didn't know what hurt worse: the back end of me or the weight of the chair and my mother on top of me.
Fortunately, two brethren were in the parking lot, a few yards behind us, ready to cross the street, and saw me slip. Brother Pitts (conveniently a fireman with Las Vegas department) lifted the chair up and righted my mother, getting the weight off me. Brother Steed helped me get to my feet.
Oh, the pain in my lower back and buttocks! I walked gingerly across the street but had to stop and hold my head and Brother Steed's arm to stop the light-headedness I was feeling. I took a drink from my water bottle in my bag, hung onto the chair and Brother Pitts' arm to walk the rest of the way home, quite slowly.
At one point in that short walk, I began to wonder if I was going to pass out. I sure heard the ringing in my ears, felt the light headedness and the blurry vision.
No, I did not hit my head! Just my butt!
When we got to the house, I unlocked the door and went in to sit in the chair by the front door. Brother Pitts helped my mom into the house and then took my pulse. It is usually around 60 beats per minute. When he counted it, it was 45 beats per minute, though strong and even. What does that mean when your heart is sooo sloow?
He told me to call him if I felt any numbness or tingling or anything else of an unusual nature. I got the ice pack out of the freezer and put food on the table for mother and I to eat right away. Maybe I was more hungry and had blood sugar issues than anything! It was 2:30 by this time.
By the time I finished eating and icing my back side, I was feeling stiff and sore but normal. I went to my 3 p.m. meeting for visiting teaching, then choir practice and got a Priesthood blessing afterward from Steve and Brother Brunner. I am so grateful for the power of the Priesthood.
I will be sore tomorrow and maybe for a couple of weeks. No bungee jumping for me! Or cleaning motor homes or houses, right? Hey, can I use this to get out of cooking?
My mother gets on a plane on Tuesday to fly home to Boise/Weiser and to attend the wedding of my oldest brother Clyde. And I need to get better quickly because I have a long term orchestra substitute job beginning February 9 for a woman having her first baby.
Pray me swiftly healed! Some people might say I am a pain in the butt. They would be right!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sorry you toppled! By the way, you'll be late for the sub job if you show up on April 9!
Thanks honey for the correction. Maybe I did hit my head!
Yikes. That is scary!! I read that whole account wincing. No more doing that for you. And seriously, you don't just need to get out of cooking, you need to use that as an excuse to get out of meetings and choir! :) Seriously. Lie around for a few days and take it really easy. Everyone can microwave chicken nuggets...
Post a Comment