Thursday, February 9, 2012

At last...

With my sensitivity to gluten, dairy and soy, I have had to make some adaptations to what I eat for the last four years! At last, I created something that satisfies my hunger for guacamole without using dairy or the other things that I can't handle in my stomach.

I call it avocado potato dip.

I had two small red potatoes that had been boiled and refrigerated overnight. I mashed them, with the skins, to a fine mashed potato consistency with a fork. I scooped a ripe avocado from the peel and added it to the potatoes. Two tablespoons of salsa (homemade with fresh tomatoes and spices) and salt and pepper to taste along with a dash of cilantro (dry) and cumin spice then stirred the mixture together.


I spread it on my homemade gluten free bread (yummy) and on the gluten free rice crackers (included in the photo). Ah, at last!


Using a recipe I took from a website Guinevere referred me to, I made Banana Butter last night.
I put one and one half ripe bananas in my Blendtek and four tablespoons of almond butter (from the brand I buy at Costco) and blended it together, putting it in the freezer overnight. This morning it was awesome on my blueberry pancakes that I made using rice flour.


Here is the banana butter on the gluten free carrot bread I had made several weeks ago and had frozen.

Ah, last I can satisfy my sweet tooth without making my stomach sick!



Thanks for the website Guinevere. It inspired me to make several of the recipes. I am going to make Better Nutella as soon as I can find hazelnuts in bulk. I think I am going to love eating "chocolate bread", to quote Ben from the summer 2010.

2 comments:

Lana said...

Mom, I didn't realize you hadn't been enjoying guacamole all this time! I have a recipe from the Food Network that I use everytime. It is nothing more than avocado, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic and spices. It is CRAZY good. Delicious flavor. Here is the link to the recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/guacamole-recipe/index.html

I'm going to have to try that banana butter. I have almonds and bananas... It would be nice to have something else to put on my pancakes in the mornings. Maybe a bit of agave in it or cinnamon? A little treat?? :)

Guinevere said...

I'm so glad you found interesting things on the website! I do guac with just avocado, garlic, salt, and cilantro. Lime juice if I have it.