Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Grand Tour

Maybe you were thinking I was going to show you the new backyard project or a room in the house, but that would not be correct.

Steve and I went on a charter bus tour to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. We had seen a special on Amazon local.com and signed up for a day trip. We decided it would be better to do this trip when the weather was still warm enough so we picked Saturday, October 29.

We had to meet at Planet Hollywood near the strip downtown Las Vegas at 6:15 a.m. We had to hustle to get through traffic at that time of morning! I am not kidding: the downtown traffic was busy at 6:15 a.m.

We found the Mile High shops and got our bottle of water and a snack (okay, really Steve got two snacks as I can't eat that kind of stuff) and got on bus number three, driven by Matthew, a thin black man from South Carolina. He talked with an accent that sound Jamaican and he tailgated too closely. But that is for a later part of the story. We didn't pull out of the shop area until 7:20 a.m. when the rest of the guests arrived from their hotel shuttles.

The bus driver stopped in Kingman, AZ for a potty break, and we had lunch at the old train depot in William, AZ. The buffet, provided by our entry fee, was very tasty and I didn't get sick from it.

This was the self photo we took after we had eaten our lunch and were ready to leave again. Do I look a little stressed?
I wasn't but I look it!






Steve insisted I stand in front of the bus for a picture. It's a big bus and we had 37 people on the tour.







Matthew, the bus driver, took our picture in front of the bus. Ours is directly behind us, but the other bus to the left is the same company but different driver.





After lunch we drove straight to the park and we took turns taking photos of the beauty in rocks and trees. Who but God could have created this beauty!







Doesn't he look fabulous for losing 25 pounds? Most bishops put on weight, but he took it off.







We handed the camera to a lady nearby. Do you see any reason for the woman to stand so far away? I don't understand why people take photos with the subject so tiny and the background is too far to see anything. I am sorry about that.




This one, if possible, is even further away. At least we look thin!








The dead portion of the tree was a perfect backdrop to Steve. Can you find Steve in this photo?











I had my jacket but I didn't need it. It was a bright and sunny day.











The beauty of the background: the various colors of the rock, the deepness of the gorges. How creative it looks!






On the way to the canyon, the bus driver was following so closely behind a little car that when the lane opened up to a passing lane, the other driver didn't go to the "slow" lane, but stayed in the "passing lane" and stepped on the brakes. The bus driver had to stomp on the brakes so hard my purse went sliding under the next seat forward! The bus passed on the right hand side and I looked down at the male driver. He had a small computer sitting on the steering wheel. It looked like he was reading while trying to drive!


One parting shot of thin Steve and the wide canyon. On the drive back, the bus driver was following so closely behind a male driver from California that the tap on the brake to warn our driver to not be so close almost got him rear ended by the bus. Our driver called the highway patrol to report the unsafe driving when I think both of them were being too aggressive behind the wheel. We got back to our car at 8:45 p.m.

It was a nice experience to see the Grand Canyon again. The first time I was holding two year old Lana and Erlynne was ten years old. That was in 1983. The canyon hasn't changed but we certainly have.

And now we can say: we have been there, done that!
Can you say that about the Grand Canyon?

1 comment:

Lana said...

Looks like fun! You and Daddy look great.