Saturday, October 1, 2011

Happy Hartford Happenings!


Flying from Las Vegas, NV to Hartford, CT on Southwest Airlines, non-stop, takes five and a half hours. Steve was reading a book on his Ipad, and I was writing in my journal, catching up the summer activities and highlights.

No, I am not going to share my private thoughts on my blog!





Wednesday, September 21 Wesley was up early, as usual, and ready for breakfast. He remembered us! He was all smiles and happiness, which we love. After we ate, I told Wesley there was a surprise for him in one of the zippered parts of my carry on bag. He unzipped every zipper and searched until he looked in the last pocket to find the Lorna Doone cookies the airline had given us for a snack.


He had picked out his cute shirt and shorts for the day and was ready for action. This morning we went with Staci to Music Makers, a group of moms and their preschool age children, singing and dancing and making us laugh. Wesley is quite the runner, and the best part was holding hands with Emi and (singing) "...running around the room, now I hop, one foot then the other..."



On my 61st birthday, we dropped Steve off at the downtown convention center by 9:30 a.m. and drove in a light rain to Springfield, MA to the Big E State Fair. I think the last time I went to a fair was in Boise when Steve and I were first married. This is at the car, all loaded up, ready for the fair. I don't know if you can see the mud and water that was in the parking field, and we paid $10 for that!


Just before lunch, Staci took Reese to the nursing mother's lounge to change and feed her, while I took Wesley to the petting zoo. He did not want to pet those animals! The goat behind Wesley really wanted some pet food and was hanging over the fence so far that we both feared he would lick us. See the concern on Wesley's face.
Does the goat look scary?



We ate our lunch at a picnic table in the wet park, under an umbrella, then walked to the one ring circus tent for an hour long fabulous performance. The dancing and trick poodles were so fun for Wesley, as was the woman in the high net with her twists and drops and amazing agility. The clown was a big hit; in fact, he has won the award equal to the Oscars! When he got on the twirling suspended tube, he made the guy from Spain look like a wuss! Four big elephants ended the show when the juggler finished his act. The circus was a big hit with Wesley. Don't you love the look on his face?
We were headed for another exhibit building when Staci saw this attraction for $1 per person. She took Wesley and headed up the long blue stairway with the gunny sack. In this picture they are almost to the top.





They are getting ready to put their gunny sack down and get on it for the ride. The older guy bent over toward her is helping her and explaining what she needs to do. Was Wesley scared? NO!






I heard screaming and tried to take a picture, and by the time it clicked, she and Wesley were at almost at the bottom. I was surprised that the picture turned out so well. I thought maybe the little kid on the other sack was the one screaming but later Staci admitted it was her! Wesley didn't make a peep.




Really old John Deere tractors very similar to the ones I drove on our farm growing up were displayed. I lifted Wesley onto this 1953 version and he sat there for 15 minutes without moving while Staci changed Reese's diaper. And we had a hard time getting him off the tractor. That boy loves machines! We did a quick pass through the animal barn where they were auctioning off cows with the biggest udders I had ever seen. I wonder if the farmers don't milk the cows all day so they look more "productive"?

On Friday, September 23 we drove to Framingham, MA to spend time with the boys while their mommy was in SLC at a family wedding and Daddy had a dinner meeting downtown Boston. Oh, the games we played! They are putting tile on the floor downstairs and it was raining so our play was upstairs. How many times did we play "ring around the rosies" or "racing"?



Just another version of the same setting.

After Clark got home about 5:30, we drove to TGIF and had a celebration birthday meal for Clark, Carma and Staci's birthdays. The food took a long time to come but Staci saved the day by having pretzels in her purse for hungry little boys. Why don't restaurants get a clue of what parents with little children need?


Grandpa saved the day by reading them a few books. Once he started reading, the boys would each run to get another book. What great students they are becoming, and smart as whips!






Wesley was sitting in his car seat as we were picking Steve up on Wednesday after our fair day and his convention. I realized Wesley was reading a word: "P - A - R - K. What's that?" It was a parking garage with the letters stacked on top of each other. His 'abc' ability is impressive for a 2 year old.

On our way to the pool to swim on Saturday morning, Wesley insisted on holding his big beach ball. Can you tell that Steve has lost over twelve pounds in less than a month on a Medifast diet with Porter as his "Life Coach"? Thanks Porter. Now Steve doesn't snore at night.



After Wesley swam for more than thirty minutes, he was tired and ready for some lunch. I love how little boys look so darling with messy hair!

It was a wonderful trip to Hartford to see our two children, one son-in-law, and four grandchildren.

When can we come again?

My counsel for this column: when packing to go back east in the fall, bring cool and warm clothes as one never knows what the weather will be like!

No comments: