Saturday, July 25, 2009

Project #(endless) Finished

It might not look different at first glance, for those who have walked through my front door, but it is different.



Last Saturday Steve took the door off the hinges, we covered the entry with plastic, and I sanded the old stain and seal down to the white fiberglass. While Steve mowed the lawn, I stained the door, then after four hours, applied the first coat of polyurethane, that contains UV protection.

By the end of the day, we rehung the door, and on Monday I applied another coat of seal to the door and the sidelights.
But that is harder to do, so yesterday we took the door off the hinges again, I applied two coats of sealant and Steve drilled and installed the antique brass kickplate and new dead bolt lock.
Awesome clean new look. This door has been on our house since 1994, which I stained and sealed then. Maybe this new polyurethane will last longer than 15 years.
My advice: removing the door and working on a flat surface is always easier than an upright door. And, washing the window above the door makes it look better also!





2 comments:

Guinevere said...

Wow, gorgeous! You can really tell on the last picture.

Teri said...

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!! how did you get it to look like wood!?!?