A piece of motherly advice today. I read this in the Parade magazine about how American's do their food. November 16, 2208, page 7:
"....71% always wash fresh fruits and vegetables before eating but many admit they consider expiration dates only a suggestion. Some 40% will eat bread (buying from a day-old discount store, then frozen - YES I used to do that with five children at home and lunches every day), and 30% canned goods, past the stamped date. In fact, a third are willing to eat anything that looks and smells OK, even if the expiration date is past.
That's a bad idea, according to the American Dietetic Associate (ADA), which recommends tossing milk a week after opening, regardless of the expiration date; getting rid of yogurt seven to ten days after the stamped date; and keeping eggs in the fridge for no longer than three weeks.
Poll respondents also take risks when it comes to food that falls on the floor. At least 53% would pick up and eat either hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, ice cream cones, pretzels, or "anything, as long as I picked it up within five seconds." Registered dietitian and ADA spokesperson Elisa Zied cites new research that food actually can stay bacteria-free for up to 30 seconds. "Still, depending on whether it fell in my kitchen, in a restaurant, or on the ground outside," says Zied, "the 'ick' factor would probably prevent me from letting my kids eat it."...." End of article.
So, how do you feel about the 'ick' factor? Have you picked up and eaten stuff that has fallen on your floor at home? Have you given it to your kids?
Do you dump out the milk, just because the expiration date has passed? Does "the milk" know it has expired? Does it just suddenly stop tasting good, because it has a date stamped on the bottle?
Several years ago a new sister in the ward received a call to be the home storage specialist. She was new to the whole business, but she wanted to learn. She did some research, or so she said, and then taught a class on sprouting wheat. She told the sisters: "If your wheat does not sprout, you need to throw it out." I didn't agree with her, but didn't say anything.
However, in our ward is the area storehouse director, over the entire southwest division. He has done this job all his life. His wife heard the news about the wheat "throw a way" at Relief Society and went home to report. Shortly thereafter, Brother Robison came into Relief Society and said: "You do not need to throw out your wheat if it doesn't sprout. Some wheat does not sprout. The true test of wheat is to make a batch of bread with the flour. If it rises with the yeast, it still has nutritional value and is still good. Wheat lasts a really LONG time."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This is good stuff to know, especially since I have a lot of wheat!
Funny you should post about this. Myra brought up a container of applesauce from the basement the other day. It was three months past expiration date. I took a look at it and told her to go ahead. I always figure those who stamp them are erring on the side of safety and over-cautiousness so I can fudge a bit on the other end. And we do eat food off the floor-depending on how dirty the floor is and how sticky the item dropped is-Hopefully not past 30 seconds, though.
Melanie and Laura, I think you are my most faithful readers and responders. Thanks for the comments. I too eat canned goods past their stamped date, but not too far.
So the word verification for this comment is "rutch". That seemed a good new word to follow Laura's comment about "eat food off the floor depending on how dirty..." and then I saw the word and thought: RUTCH - it is like wretch but a little deeper from the gut! What do you think?
I find it ironic that the survey would specifically mention the ick factor of eating a hot dog after it fell on the floor. It is a hot dog, after all. Considering what went INTO the hot dog in a (presumably) FDA inspected and approved food processing facility, I suspect that my floor is probably not going to make it much worse, right?
Post a Comment