Thursday, November 13, 2008

Remembering

An incident in my niece Laura's life, posted on her blog site, reminded me of an incident that happened when Staci was doing piano competitions in the forms of music theory tests, playing before the judges, etc.

Staci was probably 10-12, and we were at Collin County Community College (CCCC) where they have a large atrium with benches and a water pool with live plants. It is a peaceful setting, and this Saturday afternoon in Feb. or Mar. there were lots of mothers and children around the area. Staci was not with me, so I think she may have been taking the music theory exam. I was waiting in the front area with all the other moms and their younger children.

I noticed one little boy, about 4-5 years old, standing on the two foot wide deck between two pools of water. These pools were only a couple of feet deep with clear, clean water, and lots of pennies. Overhanging the pools were large ficus trees, and other living plants. The little boy was reaching up, standing on tiptoe, pulling leaves from the plants, and throwing them into the water. When I observed this at first, he already had thrown about twenty leaves in the water. With each reach up to the plant, he would teeter and wobble, and with each handful of leaves he pulled off and threw in the water, he would have to reach higher the next time.

I looked around for a mother who might be his, but there were lots of moms and kids, but no mother appeared to be watching out for this little boy. I went as close to him as I could get, without getting on the ledge with him, and called to him: "Little boy. Can you come over here for a minute?" I must have sounded enticing enough, because he stopped pulling the leaves off, and turned and came back to the floor, jumping down. I said to him: "Thank you for coming off that scary ledge. I was afraid you were going to fall in, and the pool was getting too many leaves it it. The leaves will plug up the drains."

Then, suddenly, I realized that there was one angry and mad mother in my face. So close that the spit from her angry words hit me on my face: "What are you doing to my child!" And she went on and on, not listening to me as I tried to explain that her son was almost falling in the pool, or throwing leaves into the water, and that I was trying to protect him from harm.

I told her that I was sorry I scared her, but I was trying to help her. She totally ignored my apology and left with her son, but not before this comment: "I am the only person who tells my son what he can and can not do. "

With a pit in the stomach and thoughts racing through my head, I retraced my actions in my mind. What should I have done differently? Done nothing? Turned and walked away? Probably all of that. What could I have said to her that she might have listened?

But what bothered me more than anything was her last comment. I knew she would not be the only person who would tell her son what to do. What kind of attitude would the son grow to have if his mother was the only one he should listen to. Probably the kind of son that would talk back to his teachers, defy authority of any kind, etc. So he would become the rude student that I encounter when I substitute teach in secondary level classes. But those stories, of rude students, can be another post, another time.

Back to lessons learned: I try to mind my own business, but my nature is to help people, so I still do that, but assess the situation more before I say or do anything, and try to be positive in my interaction with the person/persons. It doesn't always work out, but I have had happier helpings than negative experiences since then.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I would have done the same thing as you...as mothers we naturally want to help! I'm surprised that she reacted that way.

Did you really write that at 3:30am???

LadyCarma said...

Melanie, you make me laugh. No, but it was 5:30 a.m. I couldn't sleep - my weird body and Steve snoring too loud and not turning over when I patted his arm five times. I finally just got up. My clock on the blog, for some reason, is two hours different. Is that because the blog site is on the west coast? I have no idea.

Laura Bernard said...

What an interesting experience! I didn't have spit flying in my face so you uped me on that one! I hope that the mother learned that, just as you said, her child will have to answer to others. Otherwise I feel for the teachers, bosses, etc that had to teach that poor boy about the world. Or maybe, as maybe with my old man, they just said something they didn't really mean when they were upset by something not very significant. You are a very wise woman, though, and I'm sure handled it very well!

Unknown said...

You should have slapped that dumb b*tch in the face and called her what she is... lol ;)

Nate and Robin said...

I liked Dallin's advise. I would never do it, but sometimes it sounds good. :) Really, you did the right thing. The mom was to closed minded thus making her unwilling to see that you were helping. Now if you yelled at him, called he names, or hit him, that would be different. I just can see you doing that though. :) I believe that we must do or say something when stuff like that happens. If we won't then who will. Plus, if no one does, bad things may happen.