Thursday, November 6, 2008

Benign polyp

The good news, officially, Steve's tiny polyp was "benign and showed only "hyperplastic changes" (non-cancerous polyp) which does not pose a risk of colon cancer. Therefore I recommend a follow up colonoscopy in five years." From Dr. Anthony Macaluso, Rectal specialist, from a letter received in the mail today.

I called Steve, who said: "My colon produces one tiny benign polyp in 59 years, so I don't really need to worry about the next twenty years, do I?"

If, however, his polyp would have "showed "adenomatous changes (pre-cancerous), it would have been recommended that first degree relatives (siblings, children, and parents) have a colonoscopy beginning at the age of 40 or 10 years earlier than when first polyps were found, whichever is younger."

I am telling you this, as I have been asked lately, when someone should have their first colonoscopy, if they are symptom free. Notice I said symptom free - if you are having any of the symptoms (which won't be discussed at this point - if you need to know, email me for details), you should have one done now.

The medical field suggests the first colonoscopy be done at age 50 unless there is a history of colon cancer in your family. At this point our children, (make a note), probably don't need to have your first baseline colonoscopy until age 55 or older, due to the "history" of both Steve and I.

No comments: