Thursday, July 19, 2012

Homegrown celery!

Who knew you could grow celery from the bottom end of the store bought celery?  I cut off about 1 inch from the bottom of a celery bunch, placed it in a shallow dish on the counter where it got sunlight of the room.  I did not place it by a window, but that might be my next experiment.  This photo shows the stalks growing from the base after three weeks approx. 

The older three week base on the right, the new freshly cut on the left.  I change the water every other day, washing the dish to get rid of the reside that comes from standing water.
Five inches tall, with a slightly bitter taste in the leaf, but just fine when blended up for a green smoothie.
As you can see, as the celery grows the base turns brown.  The new base looks perfect.  Expect some discoloration as the new growth happens.  I am cutting the stalks today to blend in my smoothie.  I do not know if the old base will grow anymore starts.  Time will tell.

Counsel:  I know I am a recycle and "go green" kind of person, but this recycling venture is a big thrill.  I could not grow anything from the bottom of a lettuce base, nor from a kale cut.  I keep experimenting.

No comments: