Monday, September 22, 2008

My Birthday Present

My next project, and thus becoming my birthday present, is to make a usable patio in the back alcove.

I had the round stones and the cutouts from the granite installation.

Last Friday I drastically trimmed back all the bushes in the alcove (refer to second picture for a view), and this morning Steve drove with me to Home Depot to buy 30 stepping stone of gray cement, and five bags of sand.

I took a break for lunch and took the last picture. I am going slowly and carefully, digging out all the wild strawberry plants to fill in by the edges, and smoothing the soil and making it level as I put each tile in place.

I am going to adhere leftover tile pieces from the floor and backsplash projects for added color, texture, and to cover the gray cement plainness. I anticipate this taking a few weeks to complete. No hurry!

Steve will help me mix cement and fill in the "hole" next to the house outside the living room window, as well as the side section next to the back door from the gameroom, where the grill will be kept for easy and frequent use. We are looking for broken bricks and rocks to fill some of the hole area, so we have less cement to put in the holes, adding little pebbles to match the exsisting patio.



No comments: