Sunday, April 13, 2008

Dallin moved

Saturday afternoon Steve and I helped Dallin move from his little apartment off Lemon Avenue in downtown Dallas, to a bigger, better efficiency apartment off Kelly Blvd and Frankford in north Dallas, a mere 15 minutes from our house in Plano. It is a nice apartment and I am so happy he is out of the ghetto (even if it was right by the Katy Trail where hundreds of people walk, bike, and jog for their health). In the process of moving his bed and packing up things he had stuffed under the bed, I thought of something that maybe I didn't counsel my children enough when they were little and living in my house. It is the secret to keeping your place organized and clean. This is my counsel today:

Handle something once! If you bring in the mail, while it is in your hand, open each piece and deal with it right then. Either put in in the paper recycle bin (lucky us who have recycling at our curbs), shred it (for privacy protection), or file it where it needs to go (bills, important tax papers, insurance, etc.) For me, I even have a place to put things that need to go to the various children, when next I see them. If the "something" is clothing, handle it once. Put it in the dirty clothes box/basket, or hang it up, or fold it up and put it away.

3 comments:

Laura Bernard said...

What a good tip! I just need to figure out how to do it! With more and more kids there seems to be more and more junk! Thanks for the advice!

Unknown said...

yea, yea, Lady... nobody does that...

Here's how it works in the real world:

Carefully balance in your arms all the stuff you have to bring into the house, including, but not limited to mail, water bottle, keys, gym bag, cell phone, etc., etc. Try not to drop any more than one of the aforementioned items as you struggle to get your key into the lock [that's if you're lucky enough to have remembered NOT to put the keys in your pocket to get them out of the way so you could carry the rest of the stuff, since you WILL need them when you get to the door.] After you get the door open and one foot in to keep it from closing back on you, carefully pick up any of the items that might have dropped during the "get-out-the-keys-and-unlock-the-door" manouver, again doing your best not to drop more things in that process. Come in the house balancing in your arms everything you're carrying, drop it all on the couch or the bed or the counter, or any other available space, so you can run to the bathroom to relieve yourself of what you've been holding during that whole process... Then you deal with putting all the stuff away later... or not. :)

Melanie said...

That's great advice...I need to teach that to Paul! I guess I'm a little overly-clean...I often pick up Hattie's toys before she's done with them!