Friday, March 27, 2009

Most watched video this week in Texas

Hitting the national news is a sad story of an overzealous Dallas police officer, age 25, keeping a young 26 year old from seeing his 45 year old mother-in-law, who was dying of breast cancer in the Baylor Hospital. This hospital is less than four miles from our house, and I know exactly how the driver stopped at the red light coming from the toll way, turning left at the red light, after he saw the traffic was clear, and with his emergency flasher lights on, drove north over the "bridge" (the tollway), toward the hospital. The officer was coming north on Preston when he saw the car turn on the red light. He crossed the county line into Plano for the pursuit.

Here is the Dallas Morning news source and the video is of the channel 8 coverage of the story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/index.html?nvid=346003

Here is unedited version from the police car cam video:

http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=7095430616434719466

This video lasts 17 minutes. The distance from the light Moats went through until the turn onto Alliance is less than 100 yards. The sad part: Moat's wasn't there when the mother-in-law passed away.

I am so bothered by this. Because the officer is young, he must not have experience with dying relatives. He is on paid administrative leave at the present. They are talking about firing him. The 911 lines have been flooded by people calling to complain to the police department over this treatment of a dying family member. It is the hot topic on all the channels, radio stations, etc.

I think one of the officer's required courses, to atone for this is to take sensitivity training classes.

3 comments:

Guinevere said...

How sad; how very sad. It makes me wonder how race played into the series of events; if it had been a white family I suspect things would have gone differently

Laura Bernard said...

That is unbelievable! I had already been thinking this week of a possible race to the hospital to deliver 80 miles away, wondering what potential problems it could cause . . . I'm feeling even more nervous after that video! It's ridiculous that the cop even thought for a second that his behavior was okay, and now to still refuse to apologize! Crazy! And very very sad.

Marilou said...

That is so very sad.
Sorry to change the subject, but I am just getting ready to send out birth announcements as well as Jared's graduation announcement and I'm not sure if the address I have for you is current. Could you email it to me? mariloukent@yahoo.com. Thanks so much!