Thursday, October 30, 2008

Culinary advice and other musings

The month of October is almost finished. Tomorrow Steve will have his "screening" colonoscopy, something I have tried to get him to do for several years. How fun is that? He is 59, so in my opinion, it is not too soon. I will report on the results later.

I had a barium x-ray on October 13th. The barium rushed right through my stomach. The conclusion: I have a faster than normal metabolisum. DUH! It isn't any wonder that I can't gain weight. The gasterointerologist said they could give me drugs to slow it down. I don't do drugs - for more than just the principle of the thing. Drugs and I don't work well together. They are too strong and I am too sensitive. So I just eat six times a day and snack in between that!

I had an endoscopy last Thursday, October 23 which went well. I was awake enough to hear things being said, and to see the tube going into my mouth, and to hear what the doctor said after the procedure was over. Her findings are that I have more acid and bile in my lower stomach than normal, and here again, I could take drugs, but the other method is taking digestive aids to help my food digest and slow down the process in the stomach. She did a biopsy in the stomach to see if I had that bacteria that sometimes grows, but that result is not back yet.

On Tuesday I went to the grocery store to stock up, and saw that pomegranates were on sale, including a clearance of them - three for $1. I brought them home, looked on the internet, "how to eat a pomegranate", and then followed the instructions, enjoying the fruit and my search.

Here is HOW TO PREPARE A POMEGRANATE:
Cut off the crown of the pomegranate and discard. The crown is the small crown-like top.
Score the rind in several places, but be sure to not cut all the way through to the seeds.
Soak the pomegranate in cold water, upside down for 5-10 minutes.
Break apart the pomegranate and remove the seeds (called arils) from the membranes. Seeds will sink to the bottom of the bowl with the water in it.
With a sieve, remove rind and membranes. {when I did this step, I had to push some of the seeds from the membranes with my hands. I didn't need a sieve - I was both hands on.}
Drain the seeds with a collander {I just poured the water off the seeds, holding the seeds with my other hand}. Pat dry with cloth or paper towel. Eat immediately or store in air tight container in the fridge for up to two days.

The benefits of pomegranates - antioxidants and disease fighting phytochemicals such as heart disease, cancer, lowering blood sugar levels, protecting from Alzheimer's, low in calories and high in nutrients - 105 calories, blood lowering potassium, no sodium, 1 gram of fiber and 10% of recommended Vitamin C.

I have been working on two projects which are almost finished and will have accompanying pictures. Stay tuned for more.

4 comments:

Laura Bernard said...

Interesting advice on the fruit. We just cut into quarters and pick out the seeds. It's a mess and that juice stains so I'll have to try your method next time.

LadyCarma said...

Laura, the internet site says this is the way to avoid the juice, stain and mess. It worked for me!

Guinevere said...

I love pomegranates! They always make me think of Persephone, though, and wonder if I'm going to be stuck here, wherever "here" is at the time. I think that Adam and Eve actually ate pomegranate. Ben won't eat them; he thinks they're "jewels." I guess that's for the best.

Lana said...

Never attempted them. That's one of those fruits I walk straight by out of fear. Perhaps I'll think again...