Monday, June 21, 2010

A dining delight

A dish similar to this triple chocolate melt at Applebee's in American Fork was put on our table by the manager. Steve, my brother Len and I were sitting at the booth, waiting for our food that we had ordered. Our supper outing was in celebration of Len's birthday a few weeks before, and Steve and I had just driving to Provo, Utah to attend our niece Brenna's wedding the next two days. We looked at each other and at the dessert and wondered if we had secretly ordered it! Then our waiter pointed out to the manager that the dessert was for the next table and it was quickly removed.

Our food arrived. Len, with his medium rare steak, Steve with his ribblets, ordered without the fries but instead the fries came with the ribblets and the steamed veggies. My guiltless chicken breast with the steamed broccoli and the garlic herb potatoes were tender and gluten, dairy and soy free. We ate and talked. But as I took the last potato onto my fork, I noticed a piece of paper on the plate. It was the "freshness sticker" attached to food. I pushed it aside, and commented that some people would have made a big "issue" about something like that.

A few minutes later the waiter came by the table, asking how everything was. I told him that Steve had requested NO fries and got them instead, and then I said, pointing to the tiny label, "this is interesting !" He immediately said he would be right back. Before any time had passed, the manager, dressed in his nice pressed blue shirt, arrived at our booth, knelt down on the floor and starting apologizing. I reassured him that he didn't need to worry, I was not going to file a law suit, or make a big scene, and that he didn't need to be on his knees, but he said, "I know you want your vegetables to be fresh but you don't want to have to read about it," and apologized to Steve for not fulfilling his order correctly. He then apologized again for tempting us earlier with the triple chocolate melt but he was here at the table to tempt us to accept their offering of another tasty dessert, the Maple Butter Blondie, baked with nuts, topped with both ice cream and chopped walnuts, and served sizzling at the table where it's covered with a rich, maple butter sauce, on the house!

Since I couldn't eat it, regardless of it's deliciousness, I accepted for Len and Steve to enjoy. It was brought to the table soon after and was more than delicious, according to Len and Steve. The waiter told me he was sorry I couldn't eat it because of the gluten, dairy, but he could bring me a fruit plate for my dessert! It was delicious as we all feasted on our last course. I am just sorry we didn't take a picture of the free offering. It will be Steve's favorite dish from now on.

No comments: